Over the years I have become deeply (some might say obsessively) involved in many aspects of mountain sports. I started with fell running as a junior, then found rock climbing in my late teens, from which alpinism, big-wall climbing, Scottish-winter climbing and expedition climbing all sprung. Some might call me a dabbler, and I’m currently focussed more on the fast-moving side of mountain sports before age robs me of my speed; in the summer running and in the winter indulging my new-found obsession of ski-mountaineering racing.
- A lot of people have influenced and inspired me over the years. An incomplete chronological list might look something like this:
- My dad (running and mountaineering)
- The coach at my local running club growing up
- Seb Coe (running)
- Any of the Bland clan (fell running)
- Lynn Hill (rock climbing)
- Andy Kirkpatrick (big-wall climbing)
- Steve House (mountaineering)
- Nick Colton (mountaineering)
- Angela Mudge (fell running)
- Kilian Jornet (mountain running and ski-mountaineering)
- My wife (being awesome at life)
- My new-born baby son
- Record holder for the Cuillin ridge traverse on the Isle of Skye.
- Onsight ascents of numerous hard Scottish winter routes (new routes and repeats) up to grade IX.
- Ascents of the north faces of the Eiger (’38 route), Grandes Jorasses (Colton-MacIntyre) and Droites (Colton-Brooks).
- Significant hard new routes in Kyrgyzstan and Greenland.
- Finishing top-placed Brit in the 2011 ski-mountaineering world championships within 5 years of starting skiing.
- Winning the 2011 Isle of Jura fell race.
Goals for the coming winter:
- Compete to as high a level as I can at ski-mountaineering, specifically at the European Championships and the inaugural British Championships.
- Plus any one of the following would do nicely: a fast ascent of Mont Blanc from Chamonix on skis with no mechanical uplift; a single-push haute route; a winter traverse of the Ramsey Round in Scotland, on skis.
Goals for next summer:
- Isle of Jura fell race plus various other races in the UK and Alps.
- Attempt on the Welsh 3000’ peaks record.