Trad climbing in the UK has been a big part of my development as a climber. I enjoy the combination of mental and physical challenge presented by these routes, both as ground up or onsight propositions as well as headpoints. Some highlights have been:
- The Lizard King E9 7a (first ascent)
- The New Statesman E8 7a (headpoint)
- Point Blank E8 6c (ground up)
- One Giant Lip for Mankind E7 6b (ground up, first ascent)
- From a Distance E7 6c (onsight)
- Masters edge E7 6c (ground up)
I'm also a keen sport climber and have onsighted up to 8a on trips abroad. In Summer 2014 I made the first continuous ascent of the slab test-piece El Topo in the Verdon Gorge, onsighting or flashing 12 of the 14 pitches. However my sport highlight so far was making the third ascent of Totally Free II, the enormous 70m 8b climbing the full height of Malham cove in Yorkshire.
In the future I’m interested in being part of more expeditions to remote areas, continuing to improve as a climber and living a life of adventure!